DATE POSTED: April 27, 2021
JOB STATUS: Permanent/Part-Time (0.60 FTE)
SALARY: $4,836.60/month (SR20)
JOB LOCATION: Kaua’i Veterans Memorial Hospital – Waimea, Kaua’i, HI
FUNCTION: This position is located in the Labor and Delivery/Obstetrics Department at Kaua’i Veterans Memorial Hospital (KVMH). KVMH, Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital (SMMH), and The Kaua’i Region Clinics are all part of the Kaua’i Region, Hawai’i Health Systems Corporation, a public benefit corporation of the State of Hawai’i operating nine (9) facilities statewide.
The Labor and Delivery/Obstetrics Department provides all phases of nursing care involving prenatal care, disorders of pregnancy, complications of pregnancy, labor delivery, and care of the newborn and the mother.
The Registered Professional Nurse (RPN) provides acute nursing care and treatment services on a 24-hour basis and is responsible for the total age-specific nursing care of the newborn, adult/adolescent patient in the unit in accordance with accepted standards and hospital policies, including any other duties assigned. In the event there are no patients in the unit, this position may be cross trained and assigned to float to various nursing departments within the facility (Long Term Care, ICU/CCU, Medical/Surgical, etc.). The RPN will be is also subject to a combination of 12- and 8-hour rotating shifts and may be required to provide work on the holidays and weekends.
This position reports to the Registered Professional Nurse V (Unit Nurse Manager), or its designee.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements. Please note that unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience may not be gained concurrently. In addition, qualifying work experiences are credited based on a 40-hour workweek.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Licensure: License to practice as professional nurse in the State of Hawai’i. Applicants must submit evidence of current Hawai’i RN licensure (a copy of valid license) at the time of appointment of hire.
Experience: Six (6) months of professional nursing experience.
Selective Certification: Of the six (6) months of professional nursing experience, six (6) months must have been in labor and delivery, antepartum and postpartum, and fetal monitoring.
Certifications: Applicants shall be restricted to those possessing the following certifications:
Current certification in Basic Life Support (BLS) in Health Care Provider (adult, child and infant) issued from the American Heart Association at time of employment.
Applicants are also required to obtain the Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP), Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Labs and Emotional Support (STABLE), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) certifications within one (1) month of employment.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIRED
Knowledge of: Nursing theory and practice; biological, physical, social and medicinal sciences as related to nursing theory and practice; nursing techniques and procedures; nursing literature and current trends and developments in nursing.
Ability to: Apply nursing theory and practices to planning and giving nursing care; recognize, interpret and evaluate symptoms of patient’s condition and take appropriate action; direct the work of nursing assistants; work effectively and cooperatively with patients, family members, medical staff and employees.
WORKING CONDITIONS & PHYSICAL/MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must be physically able to perform, efficiently and effectively, the essential duties of the position which typically require the ability to read without strain printed material the size of typewritten characters, glasses permitted, and the ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid, or the ability to compensate satisfactorily. Disabilities in these or other areas will not automatically result in disqualification. Those applicants who demonstrate that they are capable of performing the essential functions of the position will not be disqualified under this section.
Mental/Emotional Requirements: All applicants must possess emotional and mental stability appropriate to the job duties and responsibilities and working conditions.
- Moderate physical effort (life/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional prolonged standing/walking
- Lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Accommodation: ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus.
- Color Vision: ability to distinguish and identify different colors.
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Subject to hazards of flammable, explosive gases
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient or unit elements
- Contact with patients under a wide variety of circumstances
- Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, illness, injury and death)
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to many interruptions
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Requires judgement/action which could result in the death of a patient
- Handles absentee replacement on short notice
Tools, Equipment & Machines
- Personal computers & associated software
- Common office equipment (typewriter, photocopier, facsimile, adding machines)
- Diagnostic equipment
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org