DATE POSTED: *Revised January 1, 2021
JOB STATUS: Permanent/Full-Time
SALARY: $3,475.00/month (BU10/HE04)
JOB LOCATION: Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital – Kapaa, Kauai, HI
FUNCTION AND LOCATION: This position works in a Restorative Nursing Program in a hospital, clinic or long term care facility and is responsible to provide direct restorative care and training under the supervision of the Restorative Nurse/Educator, Registered Professional Nurse or designee in accordance with established methods and procedures and may provide other certified nurse aide functions as assigned. The position may work on rotating shifts and in a variety of care units (e.g., SNF, ICF, medical, surgical, etc.).
May perform Certified Nurse Aide duties and responsibilities as needed.
This position is also subject to rotating shift work and may be required to work on weekends and/or holidays.
Key Duties & Responsibilities:
- Follows established performance standards and performs duties per nursing service and restorative policies and procedures.
- Provides care in the development of an individualized plan of restorative care for assigned residents/patients and implements restorative plan of care consistently.
- Instructs, encourages, guides and assists residents/patients to perform self-care skills with as much independence as possible.
- Provides direct restorative care as assigned, competently on a consistent basis, completing work accurately, safely and in a timely manner.
- Provides hydration pass to assigned residents/patients per assigned shift as directed in residents/patients plan of care.
- Identifies special resident/patient needs or problems and reports them to appropriate nursing and/or therapy staff.
- Documents and reports the specific restorative care, services, treatment or program provided daily and documents residents’ response or lack of response to care weekly and assists as needed to amend restorative plans of care as appropriate.
- Documents residents’/patients’ progress or lack of progress toward restorative goals.
- Demonstrates concern for all residents/patients by rendering immediate assistance to any resident/patient in need.
- Assists other nursing personnel with difficult or special assignments as necessary.
- Provides care to residents/patients without violating patient rights.
- Participates in facility educational programs as required and/or assigned, orientation, in-service, precertification training, as well as quarterly therapy in-services.
- Consistently demonstrates an attitude of cooperation and enthusiasm toward residents/patients and other facility personnel.
- Participates in interdisciplinary care planning and rehabilitation conferences as necessary.
- Develops good interpersonal relationships with residents/patients and utilizes acquired teaching skills to assist resident/patient to function as independently as possible.
- Take temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, height and weight; accurately record on appropriate forms in the resident’s/patient’s chart, and report all abnormal readings or sudden changes to the nurse.
- Document actions done for the resident/patient and observations of the resident’s/patient’s condition and behavior in the resident’s/patient’s record on hospital-approved flow sheets. Documentation is in accordance with clearly defined parameters. Report abnormal and/or sudden changes in a resident’s/patient’s condition and/or behavior to the nurse.
- Position, lift, and transfer residents/patients in and out of bed using special equipment, as necessary.
- Move and turn residents/patients, and assist with range of motion exercises.
- Transport residents/patients on gurneys and wheelchairs to other areas of the hospital.
- Participate in carrying out recreational activities and/or groups such as remotivation, reality orientation, and outings. Implement activities, which have been planned by the RPN or other licensed personnel.
- Contribute to the resident’s/patient’s care plan by reporting possible nursing care plan additions or deletions to the RPN or licensed personnel.
- Perform routine procedures as directed by the RPN or licensed personnel.
- Apply oxygen via nasal cannula, simple mask, and/or nebulizer mask, at the direction of the RPN or licensed personnel.
- Adhere to safety/infection control policies and procedures. Report unsafe equipment.
- Maintain a clean, well-stocked, safe environment for residents/patients and staff. Keep resident/patient care and utility areas neat and clean.
- Communicate and interact with residents/patients and families in a positive and courteous manner.
- Use the principles of growth and development to assess each resident’s/patient’s age-specific needs and provides age-specific treatment and care.
- Maintain the strictest confidentiality of all facility and facility-related employee information.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS:
To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements. Please note that unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience are credited based on a 40-hour workweek.
Certifications Required: Restorative Nurse Aide Certification or equivalent experience and training must be obtained at time of appointment. Basic Life Support (BLS) for Healthcare Workers must be obtained within six (6) months of employment.
Prerequisite Qualifications Required for Positions Providing Care Services in a Skilled Nursing Facility (SNF) or Intermediate Care Facility (ICF):
Certification Required: Applicants must have a current State of Hawaii Nurse Aide Certificate and have completed a State approved training program, at the time of appointment, which demonstrates knowledge of basic nursing skills (i.e., taking vital signs, measuring output, recognition of abnormal signs and symptoms, etc.); the aging process; first aid; patient rights; universal precautions; infection control; body mechanics; purpose and benefits of activities of daily living (i.e., eating/feeding, providing fluids, bathing, dressing, etc.); purpose and benefits of restorative care (i.e., use and application of assistive devices; range of motion activities; bowel and bladder training; correct use of bed pans, urinals, and/or commodes, etc.); and basic medical and nursing terminology.
Prerequisite Qualifications Required for the Full Performance Level
Experience and Essential Knowledge and Abilities: Two (2) years of work experience in a health facility such as a hospital or similar medically oriented institution where the primary or basic objective was to observe and report on a variety of physical and/or mental symptoms and conditions and implement care and/or treatment procedures for a caseload of patients. Such experience must have demonstrated knowledge of basic nursing skills (i.e., taking vital signs, measuring output, recognition of abnormal signs and symptoms, etc.); first aid; patient rights; universal precautions; infection control; body mechanics; principles of growth and development; purpose and benefits of activities of daily living (i.e., eating/feeding, providing fluids, bathing, dressing, etc.); purpose and benefits of restorative care (i.e., use and application of assistive devices, range of motion activities, etc.); basic medical and nursing terminology; and the ability to assist and participate in the activities of the treatment team; assess each patient’s age specific needs; and independently provide age specific direct personal care services to a caseload of patients.
Knowledge of: Personal hygiene and bodily care.
Ability to: Read, write, speak and understand simple sentences in English; follow oral and written instructions precisely; get along well with others; acquire and demonstrate an attitude of respect toward patients with a variety of disabilities; retain emotional stability despite emotional and physical pressures; develop an appreciation of nursing and medical ethics.
Personal Characteristics: Patience, tact, an even temperament in meeting and dealing with others, and productive work habits.
Physical Requirements: All employees must be physically able to perform the essential duties of the position.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org