DATE POSTED: April 29, 2020
JOB STATUS: Permanent / Part-Time (0.60 FTE)
SALARY: $4,836.60/month (SR20)
JOB LOCATION: Kaua’i Veterans Memorial Hospital – Waimea, Kaua’i, HI
FUNCTION: This position is located in the Surgery/Recovery Department of Kaua’i Veterans Memorial Hospital (KVMH). KVMH, Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital (SMMH) and The Kaua’i Region Clinics are all part of the Kaua’i Region, Hawai’i Health Systems Corporation (HHSC), a public benefit corporation of the State of Hawai’i operating nine (9) facilities statewide.
The Registered Professional Nurse (RPN) III is responsible to provide direct nursing services for all surgical procedures within a sterile, sanitary environment for the performance of surgical operations; ensures proper protocols of preoperative requisites of the hospital and medical staff are properly carried out; in addition to oversee, provide, and meet the individualized age appropriate nursing care needs of the pedicatric, adults and geriatric patient populations. Although assigned to the Surgery/Recovery Department, in the event there are no patients in the unit, this position may be assigned to various units within the Nursing Services and may require cross training and floating as assigned. Position is also subject to a combination of 12- and 8-hour shifts as well as providing work on standby, weekends, and holidays.
The RPN III reports directly to the RPN V (Unit Nurse Manager), or its designee.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements. Please note that unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience may not be gained concurrently. In addition, qualifying work experiences are credited based on a 40-hour workweek.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of nursing.
Licensure: License to practice as registered professional nurse in the State of Hawai’i. Applicants must submit evidence of current Hawai’i RN licensure (a copy of valid license) at the time of appointment.
Experience: Six (6) months of responsible professional nursing experience.
Substitution: Possession of a master’s degree from an accredited college or university school of nursing may be substituted for the six (6) months of required experience.
Selective Certification: Six (6) months of professional nursing experience in the operating/recovery room department.
Certifications: Applicants are required to provide current certifications from the American Heart Association in Basic Life Support (BLS), Health Care Provider (adult, child and infant), Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS), AND Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) at the time of appointment of hire.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY REQUIRED
Knowledge of: Nursing theory and practice; biological, physical, social and medicinal sciences as related to nursing theory and practice; nursing techniques and procedures; nursing literature and current trends and developments in nursing.
Ability to: Apply nursing theory and practices to planning and giving nursing care; recognize, interpret and evaluate symptoms of patient’s condition and take appropriate action; direct the work of nursing assistants; work effectively and cooperatively with patients, family members, medical staff and employees.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Applicants must be physically able to perform, efficiently and effectively, the essential duties of the position which typically require the ability to read without strain printed material the size of typewritten characters, glasses permitted, and the ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid, or the ability to compensate satisfactorily.
Mental/Emotional Requirements: All applicants must possess emotional and mental stability appropriate to the job duties and responsibilities and working conditions.
- Moderate physical effort (life/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional prolonged standing/walking
- Lifts, positions, pushes and/or transfers patients
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Accommodation: ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus.
- Color Vision: ability to distinguish and identify different colors.
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Subject to hazards of flammable, explosive gases
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patient or unit elements
- Contact with patients under a wide variety of circumstances
- Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, illness, injury and death)
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to many interruptions
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Requires judgement/action which could result in the death of a patient
- Handles absentee replacement on short notice
Tools, Equipment & Machines
- Personal computers & associated software
- Common office equipment (typewriter, photocopier, facsimile, adding machines)
- Diagnostic equipment
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org