DATE POSTED: Updated on May 24, 2023
POSITION TITLE: STAFF PHYSICIAN (OBGYN)
STATUS: Exempt / Full-Time (1.0 FTE)
LOCATION: This position is located in the Obstetrics and Gynecology Department of Kaua’i Veterans Memorial Hospital (KVMH). KVMH, Samuel Mahelona Memorial Hospital (SMMH), and The Kaua’i Region Clinics, which consist of The Clinic at Waimea, The Clinic at Port Allen, The Clinic at Kalāheo, The Specialty Clinic at Kalāheo, The Clinic/Urgent Care at Po’ipū, and The Clinic at Kapa’a are all part of Hawai’i Health Systems Corporation (HHSC) Kaua’i Region, a public benefit corporation of the State of Hawai’i.
JOB FUNCTIONS: The Staff Physician (OBGYN) is primarily responsible for the delivery of professional and high-quality care to all patients and residents in the clinics, Emergency Services department, and Acute Care units at KVMH and SMMH and performs other duties as assigned. The OBGYN is supervised by the Regional Chief Medical Officer (RCMO), position no. 109715, or its designee.
Candidates must be able to work call coverage, weekends, holidays, etc. Services are provided 24/7.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS
To qualify, you must meet all of the following requirements. Please note that unless specifically indicated, the required education and experience are credited based on a 40-hour workweek. All applicants are required to provide evidence of all applicable education, licenses, and certifications.
Education: Graduation from an accredited school of medicine/osteopathy with a Doctor of Medicine/Osteopathy degree and completion of a residency program accredited by the American Board of Medical Specialties or American Osteopathic Association.
- Possession of a current license to practice medicine in the State of Hawai’i (Evidence of licensure is required). The physician shall be duly licensed and qualified as a doctor of medicine or osteopathy to practice medicine in the State and shall be approved for Active Staff membership and clinical privileges on the Medical Staff of the Hospital in accordance with the Hospital’s Medical Staff bylaws and Rules and Regulations. The physician shall also be approved for, and maintain throughout the term of this Agreement, Active Medical Staff membership and appropriate clinical privileges at the Hospital. The physician is further required to maintain membership in good standing in Kaua’i Medical Associates, an independent physician association;
- Current registration with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and a current State Controlled Substance license from the State of Hawai’i Department of Public Safety’s (DPS) Narcotics Enforcement Division (NED).
- Current board certification by an appropriate certification organization is required within three years of employment unless specifically exempted by the RCEO; Must be credentialed by the HHSC Kaua’i Region Medical Staff department prior to employment;
- Current certifications issued by the American Heart Association in Basic Life Support (BLS) in Health Care Providers (adult, child, and infant) and Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS);
- Certifications in NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program), STABLE (Sugar, Temperature, Airway, Blood Pressure, Labs, and Emotional Support), and AWHONN Fetal Monitoring must be obtained within one (1) month of employment.
Experience: Clinical experience in Obstetrics and Gynecology; excellent communication skills with demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with physicians, staff, and administrators.
DESIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
Applicants must demonstrate a high degree of personal integrity; skill and dedication in patient care; collaborative approach to relationships and problem-solving; technical skills in quality assurance and performance improvement; knowledge and understanding of the CMS standards and process; effective written and verbal communication; competency and professionalism as a medical practitioner; and basic understanding of medical care/hospital reimbursement systems and practices.
Familiarity with standards, regulations, requirements of Medicare, Medicaid, The Joint Commission, and procedures used in surveillance, and control of hospital infections desired.
Confidential and Sensitive Information: Because candidates have access to personal and professional data regarding individual employees and their families, personal data regarding individual patients and their families, and/or sensitive company financial data, an essential job result is the maintenance of a high level of confidentiality of the information processed by the employee. Violation of this confidence may result in disciplinary action, including termination of employment.
Applicants must be physically able to perform, efficiently and effectively, the essential duties of the position which typically require the ability to read without strain printed material the size of typewritten characters, glasses permitted, and the ability to hear the conversational voice, with or without a hearing aid, or the ability to compensate satisfactorily.
Mental/Emotional Requirements: All applicants must possess emotional and mental stability appropriate to the job duties and responsibilities and working conditions.
- Moderate physical effort (lift/carry up to 25 lbs.)
- Occasional prolonged standing/walking
- Lifts, positions, pushes, and/or transfers patients
- Occasionally lifts supplies/equipment
- Occasional reaching, stooping, bending, kneeling, crouching
- Accommodation: ability to adjust vision to bring objects into focus.
- Color Vision: the ability to distinguish and identify different colors.
- May be exposed to infections and contagious diseases
- Regularly exposed to the risk of bloodborne diseases
- Subject to hazards of flammable, explosive gases
- Occasional exposure to unpleasant patients or unit elements
- Contact with patients under a wide variety of circumstances
- Exposed to unpleasant elements (accidents, illness, injury, and death)
- Subject to varying and unpredictable situations
- Handles emergency or crisis situations
- Subject to many interruptions
- Occasionally subjected to irregular hours
- Requires judgment/action which could result in the death of a patient
- Handles absentee replacement on short notice
Tools, Equipment & Machines
- Personal computers & associated software
- Common office equipment (typewriter, photocopier, facsimile, adding machines)
- Diagnostic equipment
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com